Livin Like A Doodle
Living like a Doodle
Recently I have found myself bogged down with things that I am meant to do. Things that I know God has asked of me, but I did not begin. I am now at a breaking point in which if I do not start them, the original blessing in them will be lost.
For example, let’s say that YOU ask your neighbor for advice on a fruit tree to plant. They tell you exactly what tree you need. A tree that not only produces fruit that you will enjoy but will also flourish in the soil and tempers of where you live.
To do it perfect though, you spend a huge amount of time researching where to get the tree, and how to get the best tree. Your neighbor warns you that you need to plant it at a certain time of year and not to worry so much about its pedigree. Eventually, right before the season ends, you buy one and plant it.
But still, you waited too long and it becomes sickly in that time. Your neighbor, caring about you, steps in and helps nurse it back to health so when the good season comes again it still contains life.
Again, you are given several sets of advice on how to care for a nourish the tree for optimal growth. It will grow on its own still, but if you do the right things in the right time as advised, your tree will produce sooner, and with richer fruit.
But once more, instead of just doing it and trusting the process, you go deep into preparation to do it. Building a shed for the materials needed, researching the best place to purchase them. Seeking the most affordable and high-quality fertilizers. Wasting time on the preparation to do things instead of actually just doing them.
Your neighbors warns you once more that you are about to miss the best season to nourish and strengthen your tree. If you don’t do it now, it will not grow to its full potential. It will still grow. But there is blessing in the timing.
My timing for some things is almost up. It is now that I must begin, or it will be too late.
The title of this post is “livin like a doodle”. Take a moment to think of some of the simplest drawings you have pieced together. What did you draw on, draw with, what was created in your moment of simple mindedness?
The other day I sat on the floor of my room and doodled to de-stress. As I did, I found myself drawing some stick figure people. It was casual, it was easy, it was a simple enjoyment. And you know what, I love them. (even the one I messed up and scribbled over)
Each doodle has its own personality. They have their own character and I can almost imagine the lives that they could live. Simple ink on paper. Formed into simple shapes that that for me, have life.
Those doodles that you thought of earlier. The temporary little drawings that you casually placed onto a random medium; did they not make you happy. Were you not proud of them. At least some of them anyways, after all, not all drawings are made equal. We are just man, and they just a doodle.
But back to the topic. I find myself at a threshold and am reflecting on how I have let myself get to this point. I know what I am to do, and I know I am capable of doing it.
I go back to a phrase my father often says when he sees a beautiful view “My God made that! It’s moving tapestry!”
God put me in this world. He formed me in body and in character. It does not really matter how much effort or time the process took. What matters is that He is proud of me and loves me.
Like a doodle on the page. In the moment of its creation it does not mater how long it will exist. All that matters is that it is and it brings satisfaction.
Regardless of if I miss the right timing.
Regardless of if I achieve the peak of my potential.
Regardless of my mistakes, recklessness and neglect for what I am to do in my life.
God still drew me into existence and takes pride in me. What greater relief is there than that?
That my creator loves me and holds me dear. Even if I am just a dot on a mural.
When I was drawing those little stick figure men, the title of this post came to mind. This phrase means so much to me now.
Put down my worries and my burdens. Focus on my creator instead. Let go of my desire for complexity and perfection. Just live and be joyful. Just do and be glad. Do what I can and move on.
Live like a doodle!


Good job sunshine !
ReplyDelete